Travel Pet Driving European Brexit New Rules

Travel, Passports, Pets, Driving: Brexit changes from January 1, 2021

Travel Pet Driving European Brexit New Rules

Will I need a visa to go on holiday to the EU?

Freedom of movement rights between the UK and EU period comes to an end.

UK citizens will be able to go on holiday or take a business trip to EU countries: For short trips to most EU nations, as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein, Switzerland and Norway, tourists will not need a visa and you will be able to stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period.

Different rules will apply to Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and Romania, where visits to other EU countries will not count towards the 90-day total.

A visa or permit may be needed to stay for longer in an EU country, to work, to study, or for business travel.

Travel to Ireland will not change.

The coronavirus pandemic is likely to continue to affect travel rules into 2021 and people are advised to check carefully they are not breaking any local restrictions.

Do I need to renew my passport?

From January 1, to visit most countries in Europe you will need to renew your passport if it has less than six months until it expires, or if it is more than 10 years old.

The renewal process costs between £75.50 and £85. Passports are now being issued with a new post-Brexit blue design.

Will there be more border checks?

At border controls, British travellers may need to show a return or onward ticket, show they have enough money for their stay and use separate queuing lanes from EU citizens.

UK citizens will not be able to take meat, milk or products containing them into EU countries from January 1, apart from certain exceptions such as infant food.

Can I take my pet abroad?

The pet passport scheme between the UK and the EU has ended from January 1, 2021, and any animals taken into the EU will need an Animal Health Certificate.

The UK Government is advising people to allow a month to arrange this and any other vaccinations their animal may need.

Will I be able to drive over to Europe?

Yes, but you will need extra documents.

UK motorists entering EU countries will need a green card and GB sticker if taking their own vehicle from January 1.

Green cards provide proof of vehicle insurance when driving abroad and should be requested from your insurer at least six weeks before travel.

An international driving permit (IDP) may be needed to drive in some EU countries and Norway if someone has a paper licence, or their licence was issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man.

Best Way to Travel